Office of Residence Life

Personal Property Insurance

Rensselaer is not responsible for theft, loss, or damage to personal property at any time. Rensselaer recommends that each student obtain an insurance policy to cover such losses. If your family has a homeowner's policy, a rider to cover your property may be available. Otherwise, a renter's policy, usually available at minimal cost, should be obtained.

Many of the possessions that students bring to college (CD players, cameras, calculators, computers, etc.) tend to be compact and expensive, making them attractive to thieves. While we have not experienced a large problem with thefts, appropriate precautions are advised. Electric engravers are available from the Office of Public Safety to label your valuable property.

Residents are cautioned against keeping valuable or fragile materials not essential to studies in their rooms. During vacation periods, students are strongly urged to take portable expensive belongings home with them if at all possible.

This linked insurance company provides converage to Rensselaer students. Brochures are provided at student orientation and in first year student check in packets.

This information is provided for your convenience and assistance but are not endorsed or promoted by Rensselaer. Consider any contract carefully before signing.

Last modified: May 2, 2007