Electric Outlet Safety Guidelines
Here are some guidelines for how you can manage your outlet usage in your Residence Hall room or apartment. Most of these guidelines are safety related, and required by the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control for fire safety compliance.
- Extension cords are not allowed.
- Multiplug adapters are not allowed.
- Power strips are allowed. Power strips can be purchased with cords of varying lengths.
- Appliances like mini-fridges should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, and should not be plugged into a power strip.
- Desks in some of the Residence Halls have outlets on the desk shelf near the light. Power strips should not be plugged into this outlet. However, you may plug the cord from the desk into a power strip.
Last modified: Jan 14, 2012