Room Assignment Policies
First year students
Here are some polices relating to first year housing:
- As part of the CLASS Initiative, all students are required to live on campus (and participate in a dining plan) during the freshman and sophomore years to facilitate the first-year and sophomore year experience programs.
- If you are accepted to Rensselaer, you will complete your housing materials online, including a building preference and roommate matching survey.
- We use a roommate matching survey to assist in pairing students. Each is asked a series of questions about lifestyle concerns such as neatness, visitors in the room, and preferred study environment. Assignments are made using the responses. Practically every first year student is assigned a first year roommate. Very few are assigned to single rooms.
Sophomore student housing
- As part of the CLASS Initiative, all sophomore students are required to live on campus (and participate in a dining plan) during the freshman and sophomore years to facilitate the first-year and sophomore year experience programs.
- Sophomores can also live in approved Greek Commons housing by completing the Greek Commons Waiver before the sophomore lottery begins.
Transfer Student Housing
- As part of the CLASS Initiative, all transfer students are required to live on campus (and participate in a dining plan) for one year to facilitate a strong connection to the campus and available resources.
Upperclass student housing
- Housing is not guaranteed for Upperclasss (junior, senior and co-term)students. That said, in recent years we have had no issue in accommodating any upperclass students that would like housing.
- Assignments for the fall term are made throughout the summer months and during late November and December for the spring term. If possible, you will be contacted by email or telephone upon assignment to accept or decline.
Graduate student housing
- Graduate students are encouraged to live in our Graduate Student Community at CityStation. Graduate students will not be housed on campus.
- Co-terminal students, as they are coded as undergraduate students, are still eligible for on-campus housing.
Last modified: Jan 21, 2016