Community Standards and Policies
It is Rensselaer's position that participation in community living and responsibility are of vital importance in the overall scheme of education. Therefore, students must assume the responsibilities outlined here, as well as abide by all local, state, and federal laws.
The following are expectations of each student living in Institute residences:
- adherence to all Institute regulations
- consideration and cooperation
- Responsibility for the protection of Institute and private property
- respect for each individual's right to privacy and quiet
- respect for each person's right to undisturbed hours of study and sleep
- understanding of and consideration for individual personality differences
- development and maintenance of positive community relationships
- maintenance of suitable conduct
- cooperation in keeping the residence hall or apartment and surrounding areas neat and clean at all times
Support of the residence community is the joint responsibility of all residents. Only by conscious effort on the part of all residents will self-governance be effective. The Institute reserves the right and responsibility to limit behavior that affects the rights and safety of persons and property.
To that end, the following rules and regulations, together with those outlined in The Rensselaer Handbook of Student Rights and Responsibilities , your Residence Agreement, and other Residential Educations publications, are conditions of occupancy for all residence hall and apartment residents.
It is each resident's obligation to be familiar with these policies. Violators are subject to disciplinary action.
All rules and regulations are administered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, or physical ability.