Upperclass Room Selection 2017-2018
2017 – 2018 Housing Selection Information
Something that sets Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute apart from other colleges and universities across the country is our Clustered Learning, Advocacy and Support for Students (CLASS) as a holistic approach to the student experience. The Office of Student Living and Learning provides a key component to this experience, as community engagement in our living environments serves to help provide valuable assistance and resources to our students in all of our three Commons: The Residential Commons, Greek Commons and Off-Campus Commons.
Our community at Rensselaer is thriving. As you are aware, we welcomed our largest freshman class in RPI history this year! As we plan our housing and dining selection process, we must balance the needs of our first and second year students as we continue to provide opportunities for our upper-class students.
While we will continue to provide spaces and buildings that are designated for upper-class students, the Office of Student Living and Learning is no longer able to provide a room retention program within the Residential Commons. All upper class students will have the option to participate in the housing lottery should they desire to stay in residential housing for the upcoming academic year. We will continue to work with any student regardless of class year who has an interest in living on campus, and provide support for them throughout their time at Rensselaer. If you have any questions about this change, please contact the Office of Student Living and Learning at 518-276-6284 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winter Break Housing: Rensselaer will offer winter break housing, which is not included in the housing agreement, in the following communities only: Blitman, City Station West, Polytechnic, RAHP A (Colvin and Albright), RAHP B (Beman and Brinsmade), Colonie, Stacwyk, and E-Complex. Please plan your housing selection accordingly.
- Second-Year Housing Requirement: All second year students are required to live on campus and participate in a dining plan.
- Greek Life Commons Application: Any current freshmen who will be living in a Greek house for second year must fill out a Greek Life Commons Application by Wednesday, February 15, 2017. The applications that are subsequently approved will be exempt from the room selection. If an on campus room is selected during an earlier lottery, the student cannot be released from their housing agreement.
- Gender Inclusive Housing: Gender Inclusive Housing will be offered via consultation sessions on a one-on-one basis with Assistant Dean, Brooke Surprenant. Applications for Gender Inclusive Housing must be completed by February 22, 2017.
Three Stages of the Housing Selection process
I. General Housing Selection
Room selection Process
Room selection will take place on Wednesday, February 15th through Tuesday, March 7th. Rising third/fourth year students will be going first for the room selection process and rising second year students will go after rising third/fourth year room selection is completed. Within each cohort, the timeslots will be random. Timeslots will be released to rising juniors, seniors, and 5th year students on February 13th. General room selection for rising juniors, seniors, and 5th year students will take place on February 15th, with general room selection ending for this group on February 22nd. Timeslots will be released for rising sophomores on February 23rd. General room selection opens for rising sophomores will open on February 28th, and conclude on March 7th.
Available residence halls for General Housing Selection
The following buildings have been designated for rising second year students:
- RAHP-A (Colvin and Albright)
- RAHP-B (Beman and Brinsmade)
Take a look at our rising sophomore 2017-2018 Room Selection poster here.
The following buildings have been designated for rising third year students:
- Colonie Apartments
- Polytechnic apartments
- Bryckwyck apartments
The following buildings have been designated for rising seniors and co-terminal students:
- City Station West
- Polytechnic Apartments
Take a look at our rising junior and senior 2017-2018 Room Selection poster here.
All questions may be directed to the Office of Student Living and Learning at 518-276-6284 or email@example.com.