Upperclass Room Selection for the 2018-2019 Academic Year
2018 – 2019 Housing Selection Information
Something that sets Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute apart from other colleges and universities across the country is our Clustered Learning, Advocacy and Support for Students (CLASS) as a holistic approach to the student experience. The Office of Student Living and Learning provides a key component to this experience, as community engagement in our living environments serves to help provide valuable assistance and resources to our students in all of our three Commons: The Residential Commons, Greek Commons and Off-Campus Commons.
Our community at Rensselaer is thriving. As we plan our housing and dining selection process, we must balance the needs of our first and second-year students as we continue to provide opportunities for our upper-class students.
While we will continue to provide spaces and buildings that are designated for upper-class students, the Office of Student Living and Learning is no longer able to provide a room retention program within the Residential Commons. All upper class students will have the option to participate in the housing lottery should they desire to stay in residential housing for the upcoming academic year. We will continue to work with any student regardless of class year who has an interest in living on campus, and provide support for them throughout their time at Rensselaer. If you have any questions about this change, please contact the Office of Student Living and Learning at 518-276-6284 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winter Break Housing: Rensselaer will offer winter break housing, which is not included in the housing agreement, in the following communities only: Blitman, City Station West, Polytechnic, RAHP A (Colvin and Albright), RAHP B (Beman and Brinsmade), Colonie, Stacwyk, and E-Complex. Please plan your housing selection accordingly.
- Second-Year Housing Requirement: All second year students are required to live on campus and participate in a dining plan.
- Greek Life Commons Application: Any current freshmen who will be living in a Greek house for their second year must fill out a Greek Life Commons Application by Monday, February 19, 2018. The applications that are subsequently approved will be exempt from the room selection. If an on-campus room is selected during an earlier lottery, the student cannot be released from their housing agreement.
- January 18, 2018- February 9, 2018: Applications open for returning students (rising second years, third years and fourth years).
2018-2019 Housing Selection Timeline
January 2018: RSA Housing Forums
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5pm-6pm Rising Second Years, Cary Hall Classroom
- Friday, January 19, 2018 5pm-6pm Upperclassman, Blitman Conference Room
- Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5pm-6pm Rising Second Years, East Campus CLASS Community Center (EC4)
- Friday, January 26, 2018 5pm-6pm Upperclassman, Warren Hall Lounge
Residence Hall Tours
- January 16, 2018- January 26, 2018- Housing tours of upperclass and second year buildings facilitated by the building staff.
ADA Requests and Housing Waivers
- February 9, 2018- ADA Requests and Housing Waivers are due (ADA and Housing Waivers can still be accepted after this time for special circumstances).
Gender Inclusive Housing
- Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:00 AM: Gender Inclusive Housing application opens
- Friday, February 2, 2018 at 4:00 PM: Gender Inclusive Housing application closes
- Monday, February 5, 2018-Friday, February 9, 2018: One-on-one or group meetings with Gender Inclusive Housing applicants will be held with an Assistant Dean(s) that oversee Gender Inclusive Housing. The Assistant Dean(s) managing the Gender Inclusive Housing process will contact applicants to schedule a meeting via their Rensselaer e-mail after the application is submitted.
- Friday, February 16, 2018: Gender Inclusive Housing placements will be sent to approved applicants via their Rensselaer e-mail by 5 PM.
February 19, 2018- March 16, 2018: Rising Second Year Housing Selection Lottery (Quad, E-Complex, Blitman, RAHP-A, RAHP-B, Stacwyck, Colonie)
- February 19, 2018: Start times emailed to matched groups of four by 4:00pm. All students in the group will have the same start time
- February 20-23, 2018: Second Year Group Lottery (matched groups of four)
- February 26, 2018- Start times emailed to matched groups of two by 4:00pm. All students in the group will have the same start time
- February 27- March 2, 2018: Second Year Double Lottery (matched groups of two)
- March 5, 2018- Start times emailed to all remaining second-year students by 4:00pm.
- March 6- March 9, 2018: Second Year General Lottery (all second years without housing assignments)
- March 11-16, 2018: All second-year students who did not select housing in a lottery or receive a waiver will be assigned to housing.
March 19-30, 2018: Upperclass Housing Selection Lottery (City Station West, Polytech, Bryckwyck, Colonie)
- March 19, 2018- Start times emailed to matched groups of four by 4:00 pm. All students in the group will have the same start time.
- March 21-23, 2018: Upperclass Group Lottery (matched groups of four)
- March 26, 2018 Start times emailed to all remaining second-year students by 4:00pm. Matched groups will have the same start time.
- March 28-30, 2018: Upperclass General Housing Lottery (groups of 3 or fewer)
The following buildings have been designated for rising second year students:
- RAHP-A (Colvin and Albright)
- RAHP-B (Beman and Brinsmade)
The following buildings have been designated for rising third year students:
- Colonie Apartments
- Polytechnic apartments
- Bryckwyck apartments
The following buildings have been designated for rising seniors and co-terminal students:
- City Station West
- Polytechnic Apartments
All questions may be directed to the Office of Student Living and Learning at 518-276-6284 or email@example.com.