Living in a fraternity/sorority house helps build community, strengthen friendships and provides a home away from home.
Current, Future, and Potential Residents:
Rensselaer believes that housing is an important part of the fraternal experience, as living among ones peers helps build community, strengthen friendships and provides a home away from home. That being said, not all fraternities/sororities within our community provide housing. Currently, of our 32 active chapters, 24 of them have a facility on or near campus. Students interested in fraternity/sorority accommodations should make sure to ask their respective fraternity/sorority leadership about housing requirements and cost prior to making plans to live within a fraternity/sorority house.
As part of the Fraternity & Sorority Commons, chapters with houses are permitted to have sophomore residents, provided both chapter meet certain expectations/requirements.
- Chapters wishing to take advantage of this live-off/residential opportunity must be granted the exemption by FSC/Housing.
- Sophomore wishing take advantage of this live-off/residential experience must submit a FSC Housing Waiver Request.
Waiver Request Forms:
FSC Fall Housing Waiver Request
Important Things to Note:
- You are required to complete the Student Living & Learning Housing Application prior to completing the FSC Fall Housing Waiver
- You are required to complete a FSC Member Bursar Billing/Collection Agreement as a second step within the approval process and in order to be eligible for a waiver consideration.
- Regardless of ownership, Rensselaer inspects all facilities each semester to maintain houses that are safe, and conducive to learning and that are operating in full compliance with all New York State fire and building codes.
- Fraternity/sorority facilities differ from chapter to chapter. Whereas, some may provide a full meal plan, others may not. Some chapters may require that members live in their facility for a specific amount of time, while others do not hold such requirement.
- Fraternity/sorority facility costs vary by chapter as the cost will dependent on property style, may include a meal plan and/or additional fees.