The Resident Assistant (RA) position plays an integral role within the Office of Student Living and Learning. Students selected to assume this important leadership role will have a focused responsibility for creating connections among Rensselaer students living within the Residential Commons.
RAs are strong communicators, empathetic resources, critical thinkers and problem solvers, champions of inclusion, and enthusiastic leaders who have a direct influence on campus culture at Rensselaer. RAs are flexible and showcase a willingness to connect authentically with all of their residents and their team members. In the RA role, RAs should expect to develop leadership skills that are transferable to their experiences while on co-op, at an internship, and beyond. RAs build skills related to communication, diversity and inclusion, rapport building, and managing conflict. Our RAs help to create a sense of community that fosters a safe, inclusive, and affirming environment that makes every student feel at home at Rensselaer.
2022 RECRUITMENT & SELECTION PROCESS
While applications are considered on a “rolling” basis, we do have anticipated timelines for hiring by semester.
Spring 2022 Candidate Anticipated Timeline
- The RA Application for Spring 2022 is open and applications for Spring 2022 will be accepted until Friday, October 29.
- Interviews for Spring 2022 RA candidates will take place beginning on Monday, September 6 through Friday, November 5.
- Decision letters will be sent to applicants by Friday, November 12, 2021.
Arch 2022 and Fall 2022 Candidate Anticipated Timeline
- The RA Application for Arch and Fall 2022 will be accepted until Friday, February 18, 2022
- Interviews for Arch 2022 RAs and Fall 2022 RAs will begin take place during Spring 2022 semester between January 10, 2022 - February 28, 2022.
- Decision letters will be sent to applicants by Friday, March 4, 2022.
- Note: You may fill out your application at any time in the Fall semester - we will outreach to you to let you know your application materials have been received!
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled full-time student who has completed one residential semester on campus at Rensselaer.
- Candidates must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Student Handbook.
- Students currently on probation or suspension will not be considered for the position.
- Repeated behavioral or conduct related issues may also result in candidates being removed from the selection process.
- Willingness to give priority commitment to the RA position and your residents.
- Must be of junior cohort standing by time of employment
- Maintain a 2.5 or higher semester and cumulative GPA throughout the course of employment.
- Must return early for both fall, spring, and/or summer academic semesters to attend RA Training
- Please see below training dates by semester.
- Expected to stay on campus until residence halls close for the semester (e.g. Fall, Spring, Arch openings and closings).
- Expected to assist with mid-semester break closing (e.g. November break, Spring break, Arch Summer Break, etc.)
- Will serve in an on-call rotation with other RAs periodically over the course of the academic year.
- Maintain exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Student Handbook.
- Assist in necessary aspects of the Residential Commons program including opening, RA selection, intentional conversations with residents, community programming, Hall Council assistance, Health and Safety inspections, OFPC inspections, and so on.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to be eligible to apply.
Candidates participate in a selective process that includes:
- Completing an application
- Attending a 30 minute individual interview (The link to sign-up for interviews is part of the application above)
Resident Assistants who are currently employed by Student Living and Learning will have an intent to return conversation with their supervisor indicating their hope to return or their departure from staff. Staff members who are not on staff for the Fall 2021 semester should re-apply for the RA position by completing an application above.
If hired, RAs are required to attend trainings to learn about the position, meet their team, and develop the skills necessary to support their residents throughout the semester.
We strongly encourage all applicants to have conversations with their families and employers (e.g. co-op and internships) about the required trainings and time commitment well in advance. Time away requests during these time frames are typically not approved.
- In-Services: bi-weekly on Tuesdays from 9:30 pm - 10:30 pm during the semester
- Winter 2022 Training: Monday, January 3, 2022 - Sunday, January 9, 2022
- Arch 2022 Training: Monday, May 16, 2022 - Saturday, May 21, 2022
- Fall 2022 Training: Monday, August 15, 2022 - Tuesday, September 6, 2022
- Percipio Trainings: varies by semester
The Resident Assistant Selection process is overseen by Kris Nolan-Parker, Associate Dean for Residential Commons. You can be in contact with Kris regarding the RA selection process by e-mailing RASelection@rpi.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org. Kris would be happy to answer any questions you may have!